LAND O’ LAKES, Fla. (AP) – Officials say a third home is threatened by a growing sinkhole in Florida.
The sinkhole that opened up Friday morning in Land O’ Lakes quickly swallowed one home and consumed about 80 percent of another. By Friday afternoon, Pasco County public safety official Kevin Guthrie said, the sinkhole threatened to damage a third home as it continued to grow slowly.
Guthrie said the sinkhole stretched up to 250 feet (76 meters) across and 50 feet (15 meters) deep.
Sheriff Chris Nocco said that within roughly 30 feet of the sinkhole, the ground was soft underfoot and felt like it was moving.
Eleven homes have been evacuated, including the two destroyed homes. Property appraiser records show sinkholes previously were stabilized at both properties.